Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Officially retired. Seems like a throwback to a bygone age now but what a player. Doubt we'll see his like again. Thanks for the memories - particularly captaining an Ashes winning team in Australia. A proper legend and a true gent.

Super Moderator

Yes, I agree.

My most embarrassing moment of 2023 was when i was travelling down from the 4th floor in the lift at Edgbaston, the lift stopped and Alastair Cook was waiting. For some reason, I said: "Do come in", as if a cricketing knight of the realm needed an invitation from me before he could get in the lift!

SC_Bear wrote:

Officially retired. Seems like a throwback to a bygone age now but what a player. Doubt we'll see his like again. Thanks for the memories - particularly captaining an Ashes winning team in Australia. A proper legend and a true gent.

Was he really captain in 2010/11?! I'd have bet my life Strauss was. Blimey, I'd be dead!

Terrific player and person though, totally agree that we won't see his like ever again. You have to respect him for doing 5 years post international retirement with Essex too. A real titan of cricket.

Yes you're right Andy my mistake - it was Strauss in 2010/11 - Cook captained 3 consecutive home Ashes wins I think. Doesn't detract though!