Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Latest advertised vacancy at the Club:
https://edgbaston.com/news/vacancy-performance-nutritionist/
How times have changed since the days of Nancy, the cook at Lord's. She was a fearsome little Irish lady who cooked huge lunches for the players, appreciated by Mike Gatting in particular. It is well recorded that Middlesex captain Mike Brearley approached her and asked if her meals for the players could be more
in line with modern sporting dietary theory. Nancy's reply: "You worry about the effing cricket Michael and I'll worry about the
effing food!"
The subject was never raised again.

I presume fish and chips followed by sticky toffee pudding will be off the menu

Super Moderator

I suspect that players won't even be allowed in the same room as a plate of chips.
It's amazing that, with all the fitness trainers, physios, dieticians and other experts, players still seem to get injured far more than their predecessors who pretty well ate and drank what they wanted.

I think after a day in the field they’re allowed to be pretty calorific.
Pizza, chips, burgers etc. it’s about getting the calories back in.

On the injury front and why players seem more injured. I’ve always thought that it’s not about more injuries, it’s about medicine/scans improving to the extent that more injuries are found. Previously they’d have been written off as a sprain, minor pull or something like that. Now they can identify them better.
That affects how the attitude has changed. If you’re told it’s a sprain then you’re expected to strap it and go. If you’re told it’s a contusion of the cartilage (I don’t know if that’s a thing but sounds serious), then seems more reasonable to sit out.