Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Contract extension for Craig Miles:
https://edgbaston.com/news/fast-bowler-miles-signs-two-year-contract-extension/
He must have made some good progress because the season before last, his signing looked like a big mistake.

Administrator

He certainly impressed against Essex recently. Hopefully he can produce plenty more performances like that one.

Let's hope he can keep kicking on, he certainly seems ahead of Brookes in the pecking order right now. It's a big show of faith with the contract after only a couple of decent performances.

Super Moderator

We won't be seeing much more of Miles in the RLODC this year:
https://edgbaston.com/news/miles-selected-as-northern-superchargers-replacement/

Fair play to Milo. Doesn't bode well for the 16.4 though if his calibre of lad is being brought in. Sub par big bash let alone competing with IPL. What a waste of money the 16.4 is proving to be.
When you see players of his ilk getting called into the 16.4 you begin to have to wonder why on earth aren't there 18 counties playing this format? What exactly was the point of an 8 team model with drafts and stuff when (no offence to Milo who is very talented and super fielder and Keeper too) county trundlers are in it? Why on earth would it be worth having a draft if - getting on for 2/3rds of the county pros - get a game anyway?

Craig Miles has had his contract extended till end of 2025.

I like him but he's done well to get that...

Super Moderator

I agree that I think he's lucky. I would have thought that the Club would have been waiting to see if he could deliver next year before offering a new contract. But maybe he had competing offers and they decided on balance that they wanted to keep him.

Given that he's clearly well down the pecking order in red ball (9th choice seamer in red ball? If you include Woakes, Barnard and Brookes), it's crucial he goes well in the white ball stuff.

I thought his form was iffy at best last season, so hoping he can be a lot more economical.

Our best bowler in the 2nds T20 v Gloucs today - 3 overs, 2 for 13. I think he is seen as mainly a white ball guy now.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

From your report on the 2nds T20 against Northants, TLB, it sounds like Miles didn't do himself any favours today? Though I think he did enough against Gloucs yesterday and he would still be the man selectors would choose - at least in the first few Blast games.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Always far too expensive a bowler to my mind. A lot of long hops and boundary balls. I'd prefer Brookes myself who has also played more cricket this season so far.

Shame he is seen as white ball only now, as in 2021 he bowled really well and was excellent in tandem with Norwell.
Not quite sure what’s changed for him to go from all formats and performing well, to white ball only and on the edge of selection.

It could be the change in bowling coach? Pop is renowned for getting the best out of bowlers, since he left certain bowlers have struggled.

Also the ECB requirement for flatter pitches and subsequently counties needing faster seamers especially in Div 1 could be what has done for Milo. He'd have likely taken buckets of wickets this April but we've signed Hassan so we aren't gonna not play him are we?

Josh Davey has had to drop down to Div 2 to get a game this week maybe Milo can too I'd like to think he's good enough to eke out wickets for Derbyshire or the like. Bazball effect perhaps also having an influence. Milo needs 10-15 overs sustained pressure to extract a wicket or two whereas Rushworth OHD Hassan etc... can do that in 5 or 6

Milo would've been a great bowler for Worcestershire e.g. in the late 80's not quite as stocky as Phil Newport but that style

Super Moderator

Craig Miles goes on loan to Durham - probably a good move for him:
https://edgbaston.com/news/craig-miles-agrees-short-term-red-ball-loan-to-durham/

It was strange yesterday when one of the wickets fell, all the other fielders went into the outfield to celebrate a catch/catcher but Miles stayed in his fielding position on the boundary just watching and not moving an inch.

Two match loan to Durham (and has a wicket already).

Can only be good as his confidence and body language looked shot on Friday

Super Moderator

4-73 for Miles v Glamorgan.

Did pretty well by all accounts fair play to him. Hadn't had a great April in the stiffs due all the poor weather etc so good to see he's still a useful county level 3rd or 4th seamer

Think it speaks a lot to our bowling depth Miles and Brookes have gone out on loan and performed well.
Johal going to Gloucestershire for 2 weeks too, so we’ll see how he does.
Plus we’re still yet to see Norwell this year.

Great to see Miles can still contribute in red ball, and smart by the club to keep him in practice.