Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Here's my preview of the season:
https://deepextracover.com/2024/03/warwickshire-ccc-season-preview-2024/
As usual, (constructive) feedback is welcome!

Thanks Gerry
As ever, well written and fair. I'm a bit more pessimistic than you about the championship and wonder about our fast bowling depth. Batting and spin bowling looks to have more depth and more good prospects coming through than we have had for a while - challenge may be giving them a chance. Agree we seem to have a strong squad for The Blast, fingers crossed we can win a knock - out match or three.

Super Moderator

Just my luck that, on the day that I publish saying that the Club haven't been able to get a loan to build a hotel, they announce that they've got one!
Oh, well, it's an on-line article so I can edit it and no-one will know except Bearsfans.

Definitely agree that the bowling might be undone by a lack of depth. If Norwell does get injured again, you rely entirely on Hassan to be the point of difference. If he’s not there, then OHD, Rushworth, Miles, Barnard all relatively similar in that they rely on swing and consistency to take wickets. Fantastic bowlers but as we saw at times last year, if conditions don’t suit them, wickets can be hard to come by.

BristolBear wrote:

Definitely agree that the bowling might be undone by a lack of depth. If Norwell does get injured again, you rely entirely on Hassan to be the point of difference. If he’s not there, then OHD, Rushworth, Miles, Barnard all relatively similar in that they rely on swing and consistency to take wickets. Fantastic bowlers but as we saw at times last year, if conditions don’t suit them, wickets can be hard to come by.

There are a couple of wildcards in the mix this season. Michael Booth, while no great (statistical) pedigree in Seconds cricket, did show glimpses of pace and accuracy last year - and did well in Abu Dhabi. And while the club have only (officially) signed George Garton for white ball, I have a sneaking suspicion that we could see his left arm seam in some red ball games.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/01/county-championship-2024-team-by-team-guide-to-the-new-season

Inside-edge wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/01/county-championship-2024-team-by-team-guide-to-the-new-season

8th according to that then, I'm not as pessimistic but don't think we will be challenging.

My predictions for the season 4th in the CC. Who knows if the batsmen click and improve there performances by 10% might even be in contention. I went to OHD's opening benefit function of the year last Thursday and Dennis Amiss said make the most of when you get in because the good days are far fewer than the bad days so hopefully the batsmen do as he says.
T20 winners and 50 over get out of the group stage.