Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Good news that he has signed a three year contract, though not too much doubt because he seems to be a Bear through and through:
https://edgbaston.com/news/bears-secure-three-year-contract-with-batsman-yates/

Super Moderator

You get given your county cap before a big game - and then get out for 0. I guess that's the game of cricket:
https://edgbaston.com/news/yates-receives-county-cap-from-michael-powell/

Super Moderator

Two questions about Rob Yates:
When did he last drop a slip catch?
Has there ever been a better slip catcher for the Bears? (Possibly Dom Ostler or, going way back, Alan Townsend).

Rikki Clarke must be in with a shout. He held some kind of world record for the average number of catches per game across his career. Most of them taken at second slip, of course.

Super Moderator

Yes, I shouldn't have forgotten Rikki Clarke.
According to Stephen Chalke's history of the County Championship, as at 2015, Rikki Clarke had taken more catches per Championship match (1.529 per match) than anyone else who had caught a minimum of 250 catches.
I'm not sure how he ended up because Stephen Chalke was only talking about Championship matches. In his whole first-class career, he took 391 catches in 267 matches.

I can only recall Rikki Clarke dropping one once, Hasseeb Hameed off the bowling off Keith Barker in 2016. Ostler tremendous slip fielder and also incredible boundary fielder.

Yates dropped one away at Trent Bridge on Day 4 this season, Slater I think. He also dropped one v Kent (Denly?) last season. Both would have been blinders to be fair. Yates an amazing slipper, don't think he's in R Clarke's league though. Clarke was truly exceptional.

Super Moderator

You can tell I am bored today because I've looked at comparisons of catches per match for four different players. I've only looked at first class matches. What is shows is:
Alan Townsend - 342 matches, 412 catches - 1.20 catches per match
Rikki Clarke - 267 matches, 391 catches, 1.46 catches per match
Domninic Ostler - 205 matches, 259 catches - 1.26 catches per match
Rob Yates - 53 matches (to date), 69 catches - 1.30 catches per match
What it proves - just that they were/are all great catchers. Of course, we don't know how many they dropped. Alan Townsend had the advantage of fielding at slip to Eric Hollies, Dominic Ostler to Alan Donald and Rob Yates to Olly Hannon-Dalby.

You obviously need to get out and watch some cricket! Oh, hang on, there isn't any.

And he dropped one today!

Super Moderator

After what I wrote yesterday, his drop today was inevitable.

Made 54 this morning batting at number 3 as Bayswater-Morley chased 241 to beat Midland-Guildford by 3 wickets in Western Australia Grade Competition. Liam Trevaskis was playing for M-G.

https://edgbaston.com/news/yates-signs-two-year-bears-contract-extension/