Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

As I've posted on a couple of SET20 Forum pages, Chris Benjamin is beginning to look a great prospect as a potential new (backup) Wicket Keeper / Batsman. He has already scored some big scores in the 2nd's (including a 95 NO), took 3 stumpings in two T20 matches and has taken 3 catches behind today. Kelley is a decent Keeper, but a poor bat (often going in at 9 or 10), Benjamin seems to know how to do both roles. It is early days (about 4 games in), but if he carries on as he has, I'm sure a contract might be in the offing. The only snag, could be the fact that he is South African born (Jo'burg, 1999), but I don't know if he has UK Passport status.

He played for a couple of years for Essex 2nd's, but never really got near their 1st's (though they did have a few Keepers on the books) and was at Durham MCCU, but again, never pulled up many daisies there (but being at Durham Uni of course, might indicate or help his residential status). Perhaps he's matured a bit now though and/or got some decent Coaching (with gloves and bat) - and Frosty / Trotty might have helped recently ? We desperately need a promising back up to Burgess - Benjamin could be that. And I'm sure it might help, that our Director of Cricket was a Keeper as well - and could spot the skills needed !

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Chris Benjamin is Captain today in the 2nd's T20 game against Glamorgan (and 146 NO off 63 balls at the moment - going in at 3 - with 12x4's and 10x6's !). I would say that might indicate a contract offer soon ?

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Super Moderator

Signed to a contract!
https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-sign-benjamin-on-rookie-contract/

Interesting the article says it’s only for the rest of the year. I wonder if that’s a money saving exercise, and another deal to follow next year. Or if it’s a case of lets see if he can do it in red ball.

He needs to keep working hard on and off the field to ensure he's offered a full contract at the end of the summer.

Good luck to him.

Chris B now the star man for Phoenix. That's only his third professional game, yet in every match, he's been a key man. Whether we unearthed this gem, by luck or judgement, I don't know (apparently Westwood saw him at an ECB Trials Tournament at Loughborough Uni), but he certainly is hitting the headlines now.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I presume the Bears have first option on Chris Benjamin? If so, a permanent contract is a certainly! Terrific innings tonight for Birmingham Phoenix!

Watching that I thought he was starting to see that this was a big step up. But even taking on that reverse ramped six showed some temperament and from then he seemed to know he was going to win it. Nice to have a player with that amount of confidence, we need it. I didn't see a SAf flag next to his name in the line ups, so presume he's English-qualified.

He has a British passport as his father is English.

Informative article from cricinfo here

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/men-s-hundred-chris-benjamin-takes-the-fast-track-to-stardom-after-extraordinary-seizing-of-the-moment-1270829

Sad to think some here are unhappy he was given an opportunity as his father lives and raised his family in South Africa.

Hidden away on free-to-air I just caught the end of the successful Birmingham chase against, err, some other team which Chris Benjamin finished. Completely took control of the chase, ran hard and pressured and then gave a terrific bravado-infused interview to Sky. I think he's made for it, basically, and someone with that confidence Warwickshire need. Nice interview with Mo afterwards in saying he vouched for him after a 2nds game, would be poetic if he has played a role in showcasing a bears player.

As I understand it, Chris is still on a rookie contract until the end of the summer. His performances are bound to start attracting interest from other counties - I hope we swiftly move to sign him up to a full time contract before he's lured elsewhere!

Solbear wrote:

As I understand it, Chris is still on a rookie contract until the end of the summer. His performances are bound to start attracting interest from other counties - I hope we swiftly move to sign him up to a full time contract before he's lured elsewhere!

Yes, the Warwickshire management need to tie him down to a proper contract asap! Don't let the grass grow!

Potentially a very curious situation coming up here re. Benjamin, is it possible he could go 'freelance' and try and play in the T20 leagues around the world? He seems made for it.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if that’s what he chooses. I think more young players will choose to do that.
You see a number of players now having it built into contracts that they can go to the IPL, CPL etc.

Andy wrote:

Potentially a very curious situation coming up here re. Benjamin, is it possible he could go 'freelance' and try and play in the T20 leagues around the world? He seems made for it.

I think this could well happen. The signing of Alex Davies does make the need for Benjamin as second keeper and a T20 player a bit redundant.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

This is also the issue you can get with players that are essentially inspired by being a professional for anyone, or making as much money as possibly rather than a loyalty of coming through an academy, or the desire to win.
It’s definitely something that you can see in a lot do the T20 mercenaries around the world, results rarely matter, it’s the pay cheque that talks.

Administrator

Signed a three year deal:

https://edgbaston.com/news/benjamin-extends-bears-stay-with-three-year-deal/?fbclid=IwAR0k69baaI_ma_DfeVq0f_XWmSst4EukIfY80VTGGDdzf5nBrjGUsiciPLQ

A good move for Chris, hopefully he will concentrate on his role with Warwickshire and not become a franchise cricket mercanry.
As a club we should be given some loyalty after giving him the opportunity to play professionally.

I’m glad he has signed, it will be interesting to see how he gets on with the red ball. So far he has adjusted very quickly to each format. We seem to be putting together a highly promising young squad which if given time could develop into a competitive unit.

I would slightly disagree that he owes us anything, we haven’t exactly spent money developing him through the ranks.

I do have similar fears that he will essentially be Jake Lintott with the bat. He’ll try play in franchise competitions around the world, and the only competition he plays in for Warwickshire is the Blast.
His red ball record isn’t great, you’d think he’ll need to work very hard on that to contribute in all formats. But it’s completely dependent on the ECB, and how they arrange the schedule.