Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Well, it's three day rather than four and without spectators - but it's red ball cricket - and this month!!!!
https://edgbaston.com/news/bears-confirm-friendlies-ahead-of-championship-start/

Shame about the no spectators rule applying for the forseeable.

Would've been nice to have a day at Edgbaston in the sun late March and perhaps a day watching the 2nds match vs Notts at Portland Rd.

Interesting with regards to 2nd XI cricket they have reverted to 4 day SEC matches this season plus the T20 competitions but have dispensed with the 1 day SET matches altogether although counties can arrange friendly 1 day matches. Also that counties appear to be focusing on home venues for their 2nds teams instead of traipsing around the county - Glamorgan using Newport CC lots and Middlesex concentrating their matches on Merchant Taylors School. Looks like fewer venues all round

So some televised Bears in less than two weeks. Lovely stuff.

Have 2nd XI fixtures been announced?

Administrator

Andy wrote:

Have 2nd XI fixtures been announced?

There's nothing on the Warwickshire website yet, as far as I can see, but other counties have released theirs. For example, I can see that we're due to play Notts from the 26th-29th April at Portland Road.

Second eleven championship
Home games at Portland Rd
12/4 Somerset
26/4 Notts
17/5 Northants
5/7 Lancs
also
23/8 Worcs at New Road
The second eleven is not elite sport but is largely played by professionals so i would doubt we would be allowed in to watch, hope we are.

Squad for Durham Friendly tomorrow:-

Rhodes, Bresnan, Briggs, Henry Brookes, Burgess, Hain, OHD, Hose, Lamb, Miles, Mousley, Norwell and Yates

I guess all will get a bit of a run-out (not a run out hopefully !).

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Anyone watching on the stream? Norwell and OHD were very good up top. Economical and lots of play and misses unlucky not to find the edge.
Miles, Brookes and Bresnan much more expensive.

Yes, I've got it on. I saw about half an hour before lunch. We looked rather toothless at that point but the Durham openers were well set. We've got the breakthrough now so I hope we can make a few inroads.

BristolBear wrote:

Anyone watching on the stream? Norwell and OHD were very good up top. Economical and lots of play and misses unlucky not to find the edge.
Miles, Brookes and Bresnan much more expensive.

I agree. Norwell and OHD were unlucky. Miles looked as innocuous as usual and Henry B, still has a lot to do to persuade me he's a real prospect. I know lots rate him and he is genuinely quick, but far too wayward - and that hasn't improved much in the couple of years since his breakthrough. Pop has a lot of work still to do there.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I'm not seeing much movement off the straight from our quicks.

Brookes is too wasteful for me. How quick does he actually bowl? He seems around 80-85mph to me.

I do feel Brookes blows very hot or very cold, he won’t ever just bowl 5 overs for 10, and build pressure. Far more often he’s wayward and there’s 1 or 2 boundary balls an over.
I’ve liked the look of Briggs; and I think of you add one of Stone or Woakes to this bowling lineup and it’s an attack that can cause anyone problems.

I do also have concerns about the bowling, I would love to have Woakes or Stone but I fear they will be on water carrier duty for most of the season.

I haven’t seen enough of Miles to comment, which may be its own point, but Brookes like has been said elsewhere blows hot or cold. He is young but this season I would like to see what kind of role he is being developed into.

It must be tough to develop in a bowling unit that has been going through transition and dealing with numerous injuries.

Rhodes is going well this morning. Punishing anything with a bit of width.

Administrator

Yep, Rhodes has looked good so far from what I've seen. 95/1 at lunch.

Couldn’t really ask for a better day.
Apart from Yates everyone that batted looked very comfortable, and was either retired or not out.
I wonder if they’ll split it and do 40 overs each tomorrow.

I know he didn’t score many but how did Yates look?

He looked OK. Concern is that he gets out like that loads.

He looked solid enough but he didn't find scoring as easy as most of the other batters in the game. Also he didn't get as much of the strike as Rhodes, which probably contributed a lack of fluency. It was maybe a bit of frustration which saw him poke at one going across him to be caught at first slip.