Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Olly is back from injury (for now !). Played 2 matches for the Seconds in their T20 Championship. Gloucestershire on Wednesday (4 overs, 1 for 23) and Somerset today. They're obviously taking care of him at the moment - he didn't play in the Glamorgan game yesterday !

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Olly is back from injury (for now !). Played 2 matches for the Seconds in their T20 Championship. Gloucestershire on Wednesday (4 overs, 1 for 23) and Somerset today. They're obviously taking care of him at the moment - he didn't play in the Glamorgan game yesterday !

Olly bowled his full 4 overs and took 1 for 13 against Somerset today. Let's hope he stays injury free, the First team need him in the T20 this month (none of our seamers are 'pulling up many daisies' at the moment) and he is also a decent limited overs batsman.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Super Moderator

George Dobell reports that Olly Stone:

• has a finger injury and may be out for the rest of the season
  • is going to sign for Nottinghamshire.

We'll see what comes out but if it's a case of Notts offering him an all format deal and us not offering him one then we've essentially let him walk away. Which is mad.

It wouldn't be such a shock seeing as we have a history of letting bowlers go, Wright and Barker to name 2 and they haven't done much since, have they.....Oh! Wait a minute..

What percentage of the time he's been with the club has he actually been available for selection? under 40%?

That is the reason why the club may only be offering a white ball deal.

What is illogical is the three year all formats deal for Lintott, who doesn't play red ball.

If Notts have offered him an all format deal then we could have. Even if he only played 3 FC games and the Blast it would have been worth it in my opinion.

However, we do poach from others quite a lot so we can't argue when other counties come in and sign our players.

When he's fit, he'll be with an England squad so what's the point. Sadly, the ideal County player these days is one who is not quite good enough to play for England.

I'm sorry to see him go. When fit he's one of the very best around. But he's almost never fit and his wages can no doubt be put to better use.

Super Moderator

He's always come across to me as a really nice guy so I feel really sorry for him that he's had such an injury-strewn career.
I wish him well with Notts.

Watch Olly enjoy injury free cricket at Notts now we've got him fit.....
Where are the replacements?

If he manages to remain injury free personally I would be very pleased him. He has so much to offer as a cricketer and I would wish him well.

If their medical team can get him properly fit then that’s kudos to them.

I think Notts will struggle to get a full season of games out of him. He might play T20 and maybe a few 50-over games but CC appearances could be limited. Ever since we signed him he has not strung that many CC games together.

Sad to see Olly go but good to hear he has his future sorted out. Given his injury problems it doesn't make much difference to the championship team but we are very light in 20/20 bowling.

We're gonna regret this. From what we've been reading about about him the past few weeks he's not far off getting these back issues sorted, he's used his downtime well and his pace is back. He'll be good to go in April I reckon. Yeah he'll always pick up injuries here and there but the games he does play wow what a difference he makes.

It's also another popular member of the squad leaving. Its a real shame this. I'm more gutted about Stone leaving than Sibley actually.

I hope all goes well for him

Be interesting to see if he thrives better under a different training regime

I can’t see it myself. Notts have their own injury issues with bowlers. Can never keep Chappell, Ball or Pattinson fit.

From what I’ve heard, Stone was pretty realistic that unless he gets fit and stays fit, this could be his last big contract, so he’s just gone to the highest bidder. Previously that was Northants, Notts went higher. He wants to play test cricket, so Warwickshire’s white ball only deal was pretty pointless, plus less money.

18 CC matches tells it's own story and that is about 3 games a year and at some stage it was either retirement or choose another place to play. We will see if he can tag a few CC appearances together for Notts but I somehow doubt it.