Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Out for the rest of the season with a stress fracture of the back. Grim news for him and us.

BBC Sport

No great surprise, has Stone ever had a season where he wasn't injured. Not saying it's his fault but it's like Boyd Rankin all over again.

An excellent bowler but sadly between injuries and England I doubt we will ever see the most from him.

He definitely seems to be a bowler who needs to be managed effectively across a season.

Super Moderator

I feel really sorry for him. He is a decent guy and a good cricketer so it's sad to see him have so many setbacks in his career.

I hope he is given the support he needs, not only to recover physically, but ensure he copes with the mental stresses of having to go through rehab and recovery again.

In many ways the mental aspects of injury and rehab are harder than the physical side of the situation.

I'm slightly surprised by this as he's had, on the face of it, a rather light, but impactful, workload to the start of the season. From a casual look at his action, no obvious sign of danger there either. If you look at Mark Wood or Jofra Archer, you can see why they get injured with all that 'explosiveness'. I guess just something in Stone's musculature that creates these injuries. Good lu k to him getting back

A bit worrying that this is not the first time it's happened to Olly. Fast bowler with a dodgy back doesn't look good longterm. Hopefully he can overcome the problem, but it's a big dent in our pace attack as he's out for the rest of the season.

It seems from his instagram post he's due to have surgery today on his back.
Good luck to him on his recovery and rehab,

Super Moderator

I suppose that lots of players have had back surgery and come back as good as or better than ever. But it's a bit worrying because if ti goes wrong, his whole career is ended.
Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

I think this is something Reece Topley had done and has come back much stronger.
In fact he blames Hampshire’s refusal to let him have it done, as the reason he left.
Better to do it now and try get fit ASAP.

Super Moderator

Olly Stone considering retiring from Test cricket:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59336369
I guess that might mean giving up on four day county cricket too.

He does sound pretty despondent.

Super Moderator

Update on Olly Stone:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59981548
There's also a few other updates at the end, though Mark Robinson seems as vague as we are about the fixtures.

Super Moderator

Olly Stone maybe available for the Bears:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-olly-stone-tests-26604090

Super Moderator

Apparently, according to the new edition of the Cricketers' Who's Who, Olly Stone states that his grandfather invented the Twix chocolate bar.
Not a lot of people know that.

Is Olly likely to be in contention for Essex next week? It will be good to see him back in our attack. Him and Norwell would add real potency with their pace...

Super Moderator

I think the answer is no. He may be fit on or just before the start of the T20 Blast.

Never has someone been so inappropriately named.

Any word on why Olly broke down in an over for the seconds? Hopefully it's not his back again, surely?

Thigh strain, according to the Guardian.