OUT

Woakes (England)
Stone (back)
Yates (Ill)
Brookes (thigh)
Lintott (the 'vid)
Mousley (broken finger)

They’re dropping like flies.
Yates has been ill a while now. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Is there any news what Yates illness is?

He's been out for almost 4 weeks, very unusual for someone of his age.

Good to see Matt Lamb included in the squad he should have been included all the time.

A few rain showers but hopefully it’s going to start on time.

Absolutely no social distancing going on in the ‘drunkards’ stand. I hope they don’t spoil it for the rest of us.

Not in the Hollies but there's no checking of your ticket when you enter the stand so people can go and sit wherever regardless of where your ticket states.

The club could easily get in a lot of trouble for the complete disregard for social distancing rules.

Quite frankly it’s a disgrace.

I hope that puts an end to the nonsense of Brathwaite coming in ahead of Burgess.
He’s had one good innings of the flattest pitch they’ll play on all year.

Could be worse than that. I'm seeing George o twitter grab a few photos of what seems like hundreds on the outfield. He says pitch invasion. The club being in trouble might be the least of it...

To the game: just from looking at the scorecard it's that lack of firepower again I guess. Pollock got in, Then Lamb and Burgess just had to dig in and couldn't go on to then increase the rate when it came.

Streetly_Bear wrote:

The club could easily get in a lot of trouble for the complete disregard for social distancing rules.

Quite frankly it’s a disgrace.

4 down in the powerplay just isn’t good enough.
Equally Bresnan and Norwell bowling in the powerplay were poor.
Briggs was excellent again, but we missed Lintott to bowl with him.
Thought it odd Rhodes didn’t bowl himself. Some slower balls and cutters might have done the job.

I think we do need to at least acknowledge the weather conditions. We lost the toss and batted in overcast and damp conditions, it brightened up by the end with actual sun and blue sky.

That being said too many batsmen didn’t contribute a thing, far too many single figures.

I know he scored 40 odd but I find Pollock extremely frustrating, he simply looks to smash everything. I personally think that is not the right approach for every innings. But he is not at fault for us losing today.

We simply gave too many wickets away cheaply.

Good knowledge. I have no idea of the weather there. Also agree re Pollock. I think the club will say his role is to smoke everything though. As you say, that's not what lost us tonight, three consecutive batsmen going in single figures in several overs is always going to be hard to come back from.

Streetly_Bear wrote:

I think we do need to at least acknowledge the weather conditions. We lost the toss and batted in overcast and damp conditions, it brightened up by the end with actual sun and blue sky.

That being said too many batsmen didn’t contribute a thing, far too many single figures.

I know he scored 40 odd but I find Pollock extremely frustrating, he simply looks to smash everything. I personally think that is not the right approach for every innings. But he is not at fault for us losing today.

We simply gave too many wickets away cheaply.

I agree re the weather. We really struggled with the bat in those early overs.

It's very rare to see Hain out like that (albeit he seemed convinced he didn't edge it).

Overall I think we were unlucky with the toss/conditions, injuries, umpiring decisions possibly and all our aerial shots went to hand whereas they had a few that missed our fielders.

That being said we still should've had enough to win. We were 10-20 short with the bat then instantly shot ourselves in the foot by opening with Norwell - would be very surprised if we see him pull on the yellow jersey any time soon.

I don’t mind 1 player at the top trying to smash everything because when it works it’s great. But we have 2 in Hose and Pollock. Both of whom too often don’t come off, and we end up 10 or 15 for 2 after 2. Which like today can easily become 50-4, the powerplay is either wasted, or you’re on the back foot, which is the difference between making 160, 180 or even 200.

A poor night altogether and spoilt by morons running onto the field and makes you wonder if they will get a £1000 fine, if so then you can bet it's the last time they will ever do it. It looks like the student element, large groups of them in the family stand (Some smoking) and then they disappeared as the Hollies stand then got bigger. Do not know why most of them come as they are drunk when they arrive, dress up in stupid garb, the female element wouldn't be out of place on a street corner, hardly seem to watch any cricket so why not spend the money on staying in a bar/pub so we don't have to put up with them here. The calls to stay in your seat and not move about are a waste of time. As for the cricket, we gave Derby catching practice and a few more cautious shots might have got us to 180+ and there was no need for it as Pollock as going along alright, all the others needed to do was keep it on the deck and stop trying to hit every ball to the fence. The early bowling was awful, halfway down the track or misdirected. Brathwaite and Briggs the only ones who did a good job.

Administrator

The pictures on Twitter really don’t look good. Hopefully the muppets responsible are banned. I can’t think of something like that happening in the recent past so not sure why it has happened now? I’m sitting in the Hollies on Saturday so hopefully it won’t happen again.

That was all just bizarre regarding them students. Heard a couple of people (genuine cricket fans) got hurt from things being thrown too which is terrible.

If the club are gonna continue to peddle this 'FORTRESS EDGBASTON' moniker though and show videos on social media of beer snakes and people all dressed up getting lairy at Test matches, other people are gonna wanna come down and do the same as they think it's fair game...they've created a bit of a monster.

The game, it's incredible we even got 167. Literally only Pollock, Lamb, Burgess and Brez got any runs. Derbyshire's extra pace was a key difference, they fielded very well. So did we though. I do worry about Brez with the ball in this format, he's hittable these days. I said this at the start of the comp. Don't think we'll see Norwell again in this format, bowls both sides of the wicket. We're missing H. Brookes on those type of pitches.

Thought we'd pulled it out the fire when we got them 5 down!

I still enjoyed it.

Super Moderator

Maybe the ECB are secretly congratulating themselves that it really is possible to attract people to cricket who don't like cricket, which is the whole basis of The Hundred, otherwise known as Cricket, Re-hashed And Pimped.
What a shame that there isn't a handy acronym that they could use.

Couldn't agree more GS - I sincerely hope we can very quickly add 'RIP' to your acronym!