Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

It will be interesting to see what the squad will be. There were (quite) a few disappointments last night - but particularly, Hose (who hasn't really done it this season - yet) and Norwell. I can't see them dropping Hose, but I would - and bring in Malan, who looked good in his second T20 (and he does give an extra bowling option - untried yet). I would defo drop Norwell - he just doesn't look the part in T20 - this season or last. The back up bowling options are not good though. OHD & Sidebottom have never bowled well in T20 (and their batting doesn't help !). Given what George Garrett did for the Seconds in their T20 Final yesterday (5 for 19 in 3.2 overs), I'd certainly bring him into the squad - and seriously consider him to start. He also has done well batting in the Seconds T20 this season - and played OK for the First's in his two T20 games last year.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Administrator

Bald_Reynard wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the squad will be. There were (quite) a few disappointments last night - but particularly, Hose (who hasn't really done it this season - yet) and Norwell. I can't see them dropping Hose, but I would - and bring in Malan, who looked good in his second T20 (and he does give an extra bowling option - untried yet). I would defo drop Norwell - he just doesn't look the part in T20 - this season or last. The back up bowling options are not good though. OHD & Sidebottom have never bowled well in T20 (and their batting doesn't help !). Given what George Garrett did for the Seconds in their T20 Final yesterday (5 for 19 in 3.2 overs), I'd certainly bring him into the squad - and seriously consider him to start. He also has done well batting in the Seconds T20 this season - and played OK for the First's in his two T20 games last year.

I think it's harsh to say that OHD has never bowled well in T20 - he was a key part of the team that won it in 2014!

OHD throughout 2014 to 2017 was quite a big part of the white ball sides.

Hope H Brookes is back soon.

Agree about what has been said in the last 2 posts, OHD has often been the difference in the T20 and 50 over games. Sidebottom has not bowled much in any one-day games so perhaps a chance to give him a go. As for his batting it might not be up to much but if we have to rely on him it's only because the batsmen are not doing their job.

Exiled Bear wrote:

Bald_Reynard wrote:

I think it's harsh to say that OHD has never bowled well in T20 - he was a key part of the team that won it in 2014!

When I posted about OHD, I added the word "recently" to the sentence, but must have omitted it, when I edited the post, to talk about George Garrett. I completely agree, Ollie was wonderful in 2014 - and pretty much kept that up in all T20's until 2017 - but it went awry then. Certainly, from 2019 on, T20 has never been his forte - and I can't see him coming back in that format. He hasn't even done much in the Seconds T20 team this season. Such a shame - he was such a reliable at-the-death bowler.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"

Apparently Brookes was having a long, full speed bowl in the middle before the Derbyshire match.
Hopefully that was a fitness test of some sort and he’ll be available for Saturday.
Would love him back in the side, he was excellent in T20 last year, and without him or Stone in the side, we lack a true fast bowler, and the threat they pose.

With Lintott and Mousley out still, I’d definitely risk playing Bethell to get that second spin option. Briggs is excellent but without another spinner, teams don’t need to take risks against him, and they just play him out at 5/6 an over and then attack the more expensive seamers.

BristolBear wrote:

Apparently Brookes was having a long, full speed bowl in the middle before the Derbyshire match.
Hopefully that was a fitness test of some sort and he’ll be available for Saturday.

Would love him back in the side, he was excellent in T20 last year, and without him or Stone in the side, we lack a true fast bowler, and the threat they pose.

With Lintott and Mousley out still, I’d definitely risk playing Bethell to get that second spin option. Briggs is excellent but without another spinner, teams don’t need to take risks against him, and they just play him out at 5/6 an over and then attack the more expensive seamers.

That is great news. I know Henry hasn't been having a great season with the Seconds, but I think that was in the Championship. I don't think he has played much in their T20 team, because of the injury. He still could be a force in the white ball game - and if fit, should be back.

On the spinner selection, I agree Jacob B is the obvious addition. He didn't get much chance bowling in the Chester-le-Street game (2 overs for 17 runs), but has shown in the Seconds T20 this year, he is a very good left arm spinner - and of course, a very promising early order bat (though went in at number 9 at the Riverside - 3 NO). And (a fit) Henry B and George Garrett should be added to the Derby squad.

Unchanged 13 man squad:-

Pollock, Hose, Malan, Rhodes, Hain, Lamb, Bethell, Burgess, Brathwaite, Bresnan, Briggs, Miles & Norwell

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Pollock, Hose, Malan, Rhodes, Hain, Lamb, Bethell, Burgess, Brathwaite, Bresnan, Briggs, Miles & Norwell

Personally, I'd drop Hose and Norwell and bring in Malan and Bethell. Malan's calmer style partners Pollock's bashing (and he's a decent back up seamer, which gives us options). Bethell's left arm spin is needed (he's bowled well for the Seconds) and he does lengthen the batting. But, of course, Hose and Norwell will be kept by the powers that be!

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Personally, I'd drop Hose and Norwell and bring in Malan and Bethell. Malan's calmer style partners Pollock's bashing (and he's a decent back up seamer, which gives us options). Bethell's left arm spin is needed (he's bowled well for the Seconds) and he does lengthen the batting. But, of course, Hose and Norwell will be kept by the powers that be!

I was half right - Hose has been kept in, but Norwell has been dropped for Bethell !

Hose and Pollock out early, both openers struggling to get bat on ball. It could be a struggle, Durham got around 10 - 20 runs too many for my eyes.

A good crowd in today, none of the pathetic morons from Thursday night.

Well….a small minority….

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Bald_Reynard wrote:

I was half right - Hose has been kept in, but Norwell has been dropped for Bethell !

Hose failed - yet again! He has to be dropped - or at least moved (way) down the order - he's no opener (in any form of the game).

Another batting failure for Brathwaite, our overseas signings have really not been a success thus far.

That felt a very poor batting performance.

I felt the bowlers did quite well except for the last over but at no point did we look like we were going to challenge.

Very disappointing.

If we could just for once get out of the powerplay without being 3 or 4 wickets down, we might actually pose a threat with the bat.
One of Pollock or Hose has to go or drop lower. They can’t keep both getting out after 2 overs.
It’s like they can’t comprehend that it’s much better to be 50 for 1 or 2, after 6, than 60 for 3 or 4.

Another poor display. This T20 Blast campaign is fizzling out. The batting is abysmal. Surely the innings needs to be better paced?

Disappointing. It’ll be interesting to see what Robinson does now. The team seems unbalanced and is making the same predictable mistakes with regularity.

FWIW, my two penneth would be: drop Hose, replace him with Malan; decide who the death bowler is as it’s definitely not Miles; have a long chat with Brathwaite; bring Lintott back in (available again from Monday); and for me the big question is, what do we do with Matt Lamb? Stick or twist?

There definitely doesn’t seem to be a plan B if at least one of the openers doesn’t make a quick 40 odd.

Hain had been in great form but unfortunately for us he has not scored in these past two games.

I guess the idea is that one of Hain/Rhodes/Lamb scores at a run a ball whilst the other big hitters get the boundaries. The problem being is, like pointed out above, the openers are not consistently scoring big and then we lack a ‘finisher’ to get the boundaries at the end of the innings.

Super Moderator

That performance wasn't even worth getting out of bed to watch, let alone travelling all the way from Bristol.
I think we may have unrealistic expectations of Brathwaite with the bat. His career T20 average of 14 is the same as his average in the Blast so far this year.