Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

He has signed a contract extension until 2023:
https://edgbaston.com/news/burgess-extends-bears-contract-until-2023/
He seems to have stepped very effectively into Tim Ambrose's shoes, so I think this is good news.

Think this is really good news. Contributing well with the bat. Been exceptional with the gloves.
If he keeps growing and performing like this he’ll have an excellent career.
Interesting Farbrace talks about how popular he is and his personality. He definitely seems a leader out there. Seen a few opposition batsmen not be particularly pleased with him, which is exactly what you want from a keeper. And definitely something the team can lack. Lots of talent in the squad, too many are a bit nice.

Interesting to see Burgess got capped today.
Suggests he is very much a big part of future plans for the club.

Let us hope he celebrates tomorrow first thing with some quick runs.

Burgess is joining Sussex on loan for the T20. Suggestion that he may be open to offers being out of contract at the end of the season.
I really rate Burgess and I hope the club does everything possible to ensure he stays at Edgbaston.

I’ve heard rumours he’s annoyed the club have messed about and delayed his contract offer. Not dissimilar to what happened to Keith Barker.
He’s seen plenty of extensions handed out, Warwickshire haven’t been fast enough with an offer and now he’s going to hit the open market.

A good player, so there will be plenty of interest.

I am surprised he's not had more of a chance in our T20 side.

Lancashire and Yorkshire sniffing around.

Administrator

I feel like we’ve heard similar rumours about players in the past but never with any actual evidence. Let’s hope that this is also just one of those rumours and that there’s no truth in it

Super Moderator

I agree with Exiled Bear on this.
I'm not very well up on contractual matters; but I thought that ECB regulations didn't allow counties to approach a player still in contract until later in the season.

Let's hope he stays put - I wouldn't have thought that Lancs or Yorks really needed another wicket keeper, and in any event, surely Yorkshire would be a lot less attractive an option than the Bears at the moment? Interesting that he's gone on loan to Sussex, where Paul Farbrace is now in situ, having presumably played a part in his non-selection here last year!

From 1st of June a county can give notice to approach a player in his final year? Is that correct?

We're not shy of making an approach for players in the final year of their contract ourselves so we may just have to suck it up.

We announced the Barnard signing in June last year aswell as having discussions with Saqib Mahmood during that month.

It’s one of those things where the rules are in place but so difficult to enforce. Clubs can’t ‘formally’ approach until that date, but everyone knows conversations occur. Comments to agents, casual chats at matches.

I think this will play out like Barker. The club has assumed Burgess will stay. They’ve prioritised elsewhere, and now the players wondering why he wasn’t given the same respect. He’s been discarded for T20, and I suspect he’d be very attractive to a lot of sides, you look round and you think there’s only a couple of sides that wouldn’t be better with him in it, and he’d play all formats. As Farbace said about his move today “he’s been the standout keeper in county cricket for the last few years”.

What a way to shoot ourselves in the foot once again. Burgess is a really keeper and the fact that in these modern times, he can bat as well, does help us on another level. To mess him about, if that is what is happening, is a big mistake.

Has signed acontract extention to the end of 2024, with a player option to extend further.

This is good news, and hopefully a sign that he will be used as the first choice keeper in all forms of the game next season.

Administrator

Great news. Puts that particular rumour to bed.

I was wondering if it is actually great news. We're coming from the same place. I really want him to stay. He's our best keeper for sure and underrated with the bat. Reason I say bad news is its only a one year extension and he has the option on extending. I can see a situation where he doesn't keep in T20 and he ends up leaving the end of 2024...

Highveld wrote:

Has signed acontract extention to the end of 2024, with a player option to extend further.

This is good news, and hopefully a sign that he will be used as the first choice keeper in all forms of the game next season.

I was wondering if it is actually great news. We're coming from the same place. I really want him to stay. He's our best keeper for sure and underrated with the bat. Reason I say bad news is its only a one year extension and he has the option on extending. I can see a situation where he doesn't keep in T20 and he ends up leaving the end of 2024...

Highveld wrote:

1 year is interesting.
There’s a few key players in various formats that come to the end of their deal in 2024.
Burgess, Rhodes, Rushworth, Henry Brookes, Yates, Briggs, Benjamin.
Think OHD is in the last year of his deal this year, need him to extend.

Some crucial negotiating to be done over the winter you’d think. Might see some high turnover if the club is trying to bring in some players, as there’s only so much money to go round.

It is for the club to provide the enviroment and opportunities that will ensure the players, who are performing well want to remain at the club.
I'd suggest the head coach playing favourites, and rewarding mediocrity doesn't help with that!