Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Live scores link https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m582b0be4-30be-481c-87d2-b6e1a7c8ab5d

Probably a few trialists in the side this week due to injuries and the first team game.

The team for the Lancs 2nd's game is mostly made up of youngsters, plus Tyler McGladdery given another go:-

McGladdery, Shaikh, Bethell, Ethan Brookes, Benjamin (Captain again), Roshan Balaji, Amir Khan, Garrett, Johal, Awais Mohammed, Bulpitt and Ali.

We won the toss and chose to bowl. As with the 1st team, today is likely to be the only full days play in the game, so we need to make the most of it. I guess the fact that we chose to bowl, is because the batting is a bit short, the muggy conditions would help seam - and to give the young bowlers a bit of a testing!

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Ethan Brookes is captain today according to the live scores link.

Highveld wrote:

Ethan Brookes is captain today according to the live scores link.

Ah, OK. The Twitter feed said it was Benjamin - but that was an hour or so before the match started.

I think it's a good idea to share the captaincy around, it helps develop leadership skills, and understanding.

I see Jordan Bulpitt is bowling well today in his first game for the 2nds (4 for 44 off 17 overs so far). He's a 24 year old left arm seamer from Staffordshire (who has played for Staffs and Cambridge MCCU). Does anyone know if he's any relation to Neville Bulpitt (a good chance, with such a rare name as that !) ? I remember Neville (from Cov), who played a couple of One Day games for us in the 70's.

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:

I see Jordan Bulpitt is bowling well today in his first game for the 2nds (4 for 44 off 17 overs so far). He's a 24 year old left arm seamer from Staffordshire (who has played for Staffs and Cambridge MCCU). Does anyone know if he's any relation to Neville Bulpitt (a good chance, with such a rare name as that !) ? I remember Neville (from Cov), who played a couple of One Day games for us in the 70's.

Jordan finished on a '5 fer' - (21 overs, 5 for 49) - a great performance. He's got to be set for a long runout for the 2nd's - and we desparately need another left arm seamer to replace Barker. Other wicket takers in Lancs 284, were Ethan B (1 for 43 - before joining the 1st's), Johal (2 for 49), Bethell (1 for 13) and Tazeem Ali (1 for 27, off 13 overs, with his leg spin). Another failure for George Garrett (0 for 48 off 19 overs - when every other seamer is getting wickets). I'm sure he won't be with us next season

We're on 173 for 3 at Lunch today - McGladdery, 27; Shaikh, 19; Amir Khan, 23; Roshan Balaji, 47 NO and Chris Benjamin, 31 NO.

Super Moderator

Agreed about the need for someone to replace Keith Barker. Just to rub it in, in the match just ended for Hampshire v Surrey, Barker had match figures of 7-33. His second innings analysis, which takes some believing, was 22 0vers, 17 maidens, three wickets for nine runs.

I see Jake Lintott has been drafted in for the last two days of this game (final day today), in place of Ethan B. He's down to bat at 6, so might see him batting. More importantly, I guess he's there to get some red ball bowling practice in Lancs 2nd innings today. Almost certainly, he'll be playing for the 1st's in the Worcester Championship game on Sunday, as Briggs is with England ?

I feel like if they do get any play, with the amount of bowling injuries and absences we have, and the fact this is definitely going to be a draw. It would be better to declare, and let Lintott have a bowl. Potentially get Ethan Brookes back in too. Maybe even see if they’ll be allowed Bethell to come in and bowl.
Because they’ll need a spinner or 2 in the T20 and Chanpionship, so the more practice in match conditions the better. Plus Brookes seems to be the next man in line seam bowling wise.

Judging from the video clips, some very gentle declaration bowling from Warwickshire.

Super Moderator

K Smith three overs for 76 runs - I think you could just be right.

Super Moderator

K Smith three overs for 76 runs - I think you could just be right.

I don't need to be told twice :-)

We were sset a target of 250 off 50 overs

An absolutely brilliant win - by 6 wickets, with just 1 ball left ! Who says red ball cricket is boring ?!

Set up by a ton (exactly) from Amir Khan and 78 (from 79 balls) from (Captain) Benjamin. Valuable (not out) contributions of 26 from K Smith (? - I don't know him) and 23 (off 19 balls) from Roshan Balaji took us home. Jake Lintott didn't get to bowl or bat.

Super Moderator

Am I correct in thinking that Amir Khan is only 15? If so, what a prospect!

Yes, as stated in the report on the club website!

Probably the majority of players who go on to have county contracts have played some county 2nd team cricket when they were 15.

For most of the players playing now that’s definitely true.

But as with all things the experts change their minds every couple of years, and now in the last few years the trend seems far more to be sticking to academy matches, school matches and men’s club cricket. Then slowly introduce them to second team cricket more gradually, when they’re around 16/17/18.
Otherwise it is literally men against boys, which I believe the most recent wisdom says is bad for development.

Super Moderator

Highveld wrote:

Yes, as stated in the report on the club website!

Probably the majority of players who go on to have county contracts have played some county 2nd team cricket when they were 15.

I wasn't commenting so much about the fact that he was playing for the second team at 15 as that he actually scored a hundred, which must be incredibly rare.

Quite rare, I believe the very annoying Gary Neville did that for Lancashire many years ago, before he realised he wouldn't be allowed to abuse officials all through the game in cricket!