Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Yates out early, he really struggles to get going early in the innings. Something they need to work on over the winter, hopefully with a batting coach who has a track record of improving players

Administrator

I think we're going to be relying on Lancashire winning a low scoring game as I can't see us picking up many batting points. Batting looks very tricky right now.

Looks tough out there again.

Yates is very much feast or famine. That’s just how he is currently as a young player. He’ll learn but it’s what we’ve all come to expect.

I think we’d be the happiest team currently. Put in 80-1, whilst Hampshire are 4 down and Notts 3 down for lower scores.
Interesting thing will be if we score 350, get 4 batting points and Hampshire were to get none. We’d win, if we won, no matter what Hampshire did if they won, and I’d find it hard to believe Lancs would get 5 batting points at an out ground in Lancashire in September.

Super Moderator

Weighing up the options:
https://deepextracover.com/2021/09/the-red-ball-returns-who-will-be-county-champions/

Administrator

This is tricky now. It looks like Hampshire won't get any batting points, so if we got four batting points and won, it wouldn't matter if Hampshire also won. But we now need to score at 4.5 RPO to get there in time. There's also the problem of needing to score at least as many points as Lancashire to stay ahead of them, so we might have to hope that they can't get many batting points.

Administrator

Well, that was a pretty good day all in all! Lamb was a bit unlucky to be out as it looked to be sliding down leg.

Given the score in the Hampshire-Lancashire game I think we really need to go for the fourth batting point tomorrow morning, and then hope that we can bowl Somerset out twice!

Yeah Lamb got a shocker.

Good day though after being shoved in, it was tough this morning.

I think they’ll go for it. Even in the last couple of overs in the day, Burgess and Hain were looking to score rather than see out the day. So there’s obviously intent.

Ideally get the 350 and win. If not, get the win, and hope Lancs don’t get 350, but they beat Hampshire.

I think we will get the 67 in 14 overs as Haim and Lamb (Both were great) were upping the rate without even trying but I hope they start from ball 1 tomorrow or they could get bogged down and need 20 off 2 overs or something stupid. The pitch at Liverpool looks a result pitch if the scores suggest correctly and Lancs look in trouble already, I do not want us to blow this whole scenario by 0.5 of a point. Having said that, we need Somerset to bat like they have recently in the CC because the pitch looks bland and lifeless. I we do get the 4 batting point, then it won't be thanks to Dom. I am not one of his usual detractors but he has faced better bowling at Test level than that and didn't look to try anything to up the scoring rate. It would seem as though tomorrow will be as important a day in the CC as we have had all season.

Administrator

Think that’s a bit harsh on Sibley as the first hour was very challenging, the ball was moving around all over the place.

Exiled Bear wrote:

Think that’s a bit harsh on Sibley as the first hour was very challenging, the ball was moving around all over the place.

I agree that the ball was doing all sorts of things during the first hour and to get through to lunch only 1 down was a great effort but he didn't appear to even look to score quicker once it was obvious that the pitch was good for batting and this put greater pressure on the middle order. With Hain having made no runs v Yorkshire, the last thing he wanted was to have to make runs and at a good rate just to get us in the position we are in now.

Both overnight batters gone. I think the approach now has to be posting a big total, rather than bonus points. Let's make sure we win the game first.

And now Woakes. What a terrible start to the day.

Administrator

I think we have to go for the extra batting point given that Lancashire are now 28/5

Administrator

But I suppose that we could end up regretting our decision either way!

Well whatever they decided to do, it has backfired spectacularly. What a terrible start to the days play.

I think got suckered in by all the talk about batting points and lost sight of the big picture. 4 very good batters gone in half an hour.

We're chucking all yesterday's hard work down the pan.

Administrator

I think the end of the day came at the wrong time for us yesterday.