Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I sense the belief is ebbing away.

Has no one told them that with the way things are going, it looks like Lancs could win which means we could still be champions if we win. It looks as though despite being a bland/dull pitch, we have thrown the towel in. Cannot believe that Leach and Davey have batted for 214 balls, Leach is now out but *** hell, we must be better than this.

Still a chance but very slim. We will see if we are serious about trying to win when our openers come out. If Sibley is one of them then we are not serious about trying to win. I am not being nasty but just being realistic. Oh for a Neil Carter in our side who might like to try and speed things up. Send Briggs in early or even Norwell. Have we a target in mind? There are 132 overs left in the game, we could bat for perhaps 65 and try and score 270 and set Somerset 250 in around 65-67. Who knows.

DOM SIBLEY SIX CLAXON!!!!

Amazing. If Notts win, then it's no use us trying for 2nd place so we will have to 'Go for it'.

71/0 after 17 overs. Solid start. We need to go for it now.

Lancashire have won so it's on if we can somehow get the declaration right and get something out of this bland pitch then you never know. COYB.

We're still with a shout coming to the final day of the season. Win or lose it's been great stuff.

Incredible last session that. We just won't go away.

The last session, 36 overs with no break enabled us to just swing it all over the park with nothing to lose. Some of the shots that Rhodes hit were some of the most nonchalant I have ever seen, one of his 6's, he hit it the blink of an eye and didn't even look at it and was marking his guard before it landed. A sharp contrast to after lunch when we just seemed to lose interest. Did the players think that Hampshire had it in the bag. There was always a chance that Lancashire would chase it well if it was below 200. We did seem to waste 20 odd overs just going through the motions and bowling to Leach (Seriously, he faced 140 balls ) rather than letting him have it, tailender or not, he was just taking the **. I hope we come out all guns blazing and do not meander at 5 an over. 24 overs of trying to hit everything out of sight even at 6 an over would give us 300 to bowl at in 70 overs. It might actually be better if Rhodes does not tell the others what target he is looking at, I have known sides do that and it leads to batsmen not feeling the need to try and score quicker because they are "Up with the rate". It's in our hands and I really hope the pitch can do something for us but it looks so dull, I feel it may win in the end.

Administrator

I thought we were pretty unlucky in the Somerset first innings. Leach must have played and missed about 20 times! Woakes in particular was unfortunate. Hopefully we'll get a bit more luck in the second innings and Somerset will collapse. Unlikely, but you never know!

Yesterday I don't think we bowled well enough for long enough to build the requisite pressure needed to take wickets on this flat surface. However we were so unlucky today. And some of those LBW shouts were close, a couple of them plumb.

I agree with that paulbear. I think he first has to decide how long he wants to bowl Somerset out. Then the batters can go berserk up until that point. In the end, it won't much matter whether we set them 300, 325 or 350. It's all about time now.

Yes, we don't want to come up short and have them 8-9 down not having bowled enough overs. Whilst watching yesterday, I was thinking that it is 96 overs MINUIMUM. That means you can bowl more if you 'shift yer' bum' and try and get more overs in. Lancashire did it plenty in 2011 with their 2 spinners. Talking of which, I would rather have seen them get the title than Hampshire though I am still miffed about 2011. Lancashire look a proper side whereas Hampshire have just 2 bowlers and rely on a few batsmen. Their spin options might have cost them yesterday, Dawson is never a problem and never seems to bowl a side out even if it's turning sideways. Briggs might have some work to do today and who would bet against him after Wednesday's heroics.

Generous declaration. I reckon it leaves Somerset as favourites but with Woakes, Bresnan and Briggs to control the run rate we might be able to make it exciting.

Come on you Bears!

psychologically I might have taken it past 300 to chase, which wouldn't have taken very long.

Too much of a batter (as I am all about being PC) friendly wicket I'm afraid. Somerset will win easily from here, we had to take the gamble though.

Briggs first over and a wicket with his 4th ball! Great catch by Tim Bresnan! 31/1 right on the lunch break....it's possible...

Lilly wrote:

Too much of a batter (as I am all about being PC) friendly wicket I'm afraid. Somerset will win easily from here, we had to take the gamble though.

Love reverse psychology 😀

Come on now boys, we are all with you.

YOU BEARS

Come on lads !!!

Gutted I'm not there but will celebrate with a few pints at home in Dublin 😀😀