Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

I can't comment on what they thought of Davies within the dressing room. But the fans had a few things to say about him on the Lancashire cricket forum (Redrosefans). Admittedly, this was mainly after they knew he was leaving, but comments include:

• he has a fiery temper
  • he has anger issues, little man syndrome
    -a little narky runt (!)
  • a dirty rat
  • a horrible little man
  • a horrible little rat
    And I thought we were a bit outspoken here sometimes!

Let’s not forget the reason he was banned for the first match of the season too…..

Hose gone now...the exodus continues...

Kinda understandable, he's nowhere near the 4 day side and he's 30 in a few weeks so needs to be playing.

Super Moderator

Not that much of an exodus, yet - and Moeen and Ed Barnard coming in.
Who knows, there could be other new signings, even today, maybe....

We have signed a rookie wiket keeper!

https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-sign-george-maddy-to-rookie-contract/?fbclid=IwAR2nFDXfA0z3S-dn51fJhJ8FjI3oooI-7dIfxHIgaKs_bKblVG1XmSMGiEc

Son of former Captain Darren Maddy

Time to update the out of contract list

Sibley (Surrey)
Stone (Notts)
Hose (Worcs)
Lamb (Siberia?) :-)
Sidebottom (?)
Garrett (?)
Furrer. (Trialed at Worcs)

Judging by George Dobell's article in The Cricketer online today (I can't post it as it is for premium subscribers only) , we can probably add Burgess to the list as he is trying to get his contract cancelled early due to disenchantment with his T20 exclusion. The article paints a very unhappy picture of our dressing room. It also suggests that we waited too long to offer Sibley a new contract (as we did with Keith Barker) when he lost his central contract and when we did, it was too late.

That sounds ominous. Dobell is usually right on these things. He was stating the Sibley news to Surrey at the start of the season well before anyone else had any idea.

Is the article worth a read? It’s behind a paywall, and I’m loathe to bother paying as I’m usually left pretty disappointed by anything I’ve read from there previously.

I do enjoy most things in the Cricketer magazine. My son subscribes to the premium online service and enjoys it very much. He took photos of this article and whatsapped it to me.

Super Moderator

George's article is well worth a read, though I don't think he is right about everything - e.g. Keith Barker's reasons for going to Hampshire were personal; and what he says about Burgess is also different from my understanding.

Super Moderator

Someone else telling us what went wrong:
https://wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/county-championship-2022/warwickshires-journey-from-championship-winners-to-relegation-contenders-explained
Not much new insight but worth a read.

Yeah that article has been done by someone who just looks at stats and scorecards.

The article does fail to mention Yorkshire, Lancashire, Surrey and Nottinghamshire (Twice) as sides who won the title and then got relegated the very next season.

Administrator

And Middlesex.

The video of the after match activities in the bar confirmed 5 players, including Lamb, were leaving.

We know Hose, Sibley and Stone are 3 of the 5, so it would be safe to assume that either Sidebottom or Garret is the 5th to leave.

Super Moderator

I agree that it would be good to know who is going. I guess any announcement can be complicated if a player is negotiating with another county or is making approaches elsewhere and wants any statement to be about where they are going, rather than just that their contract hasn't been renewed.
There haven't actually been too many announcements yet from other counties though I assume that there will be a few more in the coming weeks.

I see the club has done FB posts about Hose and Stone today.

Super Moderator

Maybe the last of the current batch of leavers - and not too much of a surprise:
https://edgbaston.com/news/ryan-sidebottom-leaves-warwickshire/
A shame that he doesn't seem to have found another county.

Had a few decent moments but it was all too fleeting. A good lad by all accounts who seemed to really relish the opportunity to be a pro. I wish him well.

Think George Garrett is the only out of contract player now who hasn't had some sort of announcement either way. Might get a deal as he's young and with the injuries we get to seamers...