Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Any more renewals or releases? Its been a little quiet apart from Briggs renewal.

We are almost two months into the current season, so the club will be making initial decisions on players who will be released when their contracts expire at the end of the season.

Based on the assumption they are out of contract at the end of this season, and taking into account the make up of the squad, I'd think the following will need to make a big impression, with runs &/or wickets over the next couple of months to earn a contract renewal.

Adam Hose
Ryan sidebottom
George Garrett
George Furrer

It would be interesting to read the views of other members of the forum.

Hose needs to go well in the Blast I'd say. I'm not sure he's guaranteed a place in that side at the moment with the emergence of Bethell though.

Garnett may get retained simply because we don't have any seamers coming through from the academy and the seniors are often injured!

Sidebottom and Furrer might be struggling.

Think Lamb might be in his last year to but I'd imagine he's in line for a decent renewal/extension due to his current form and demonstrable improvement.

Matt Lamb definately needs an extention, he's become a key part of the middle order.

The biggest contract quandary is whether Sibley will sign his extension. Otherwise he’s gone at the end of the season.
Considering Davies has hardly gone off like a train, and Yates seems to have been unsettled by his arrival and sliding to 3; I’m not sure they can afford to lose him.

George Furrer was playing in Worcestershires 2nd xi T20 game at Cheltenham today.

that suggests he has been, or will be, released at the end of his contract.

With the Sibley news today, who else’s contract is up, and may be a potential departure?

As far as I’m aware it’s:
Sibley (gone)
Stone
Hose
Lamb
Sidebottom
Garrett
Furrer.

Both Hose and Stones apparently both have only been offered white ball only. With Hose potentially following Pollock down to Worcestershire to play some red ball.
Have also heard Sidebottom may be signing for Derbyshire.

I thought Lamb had another year. He's definately one we should want to keep.
Of the seam bowlers mentioned above, Only Stone is worth keeping, and even that is a marginal decision, based on his injury history.

Bit of a shock but there must be more to it than just wanting a move and I think that Sibley reckons he has a better chance to get back into the England side if he moves to Surrey. Pity, we gave him more of a chance here in all forms than he was ever given down at the Oval. Stone will not be that much of a loss as I can see him being constantly injured until his career is done. I would though, hate to lose both Lamb or Hose. Perhaps if they try and negotiate with him, he might just stay if they say he could get some CC cricket but I suppose if he cannot score runs in the 2nd XI then why would they.

I agree Paulbear, whilst I don’t think he necessary owes us anything, we certainly gave Sibley a lot of time to settle and ultimately get into the England squad. I can remember he really struggled initially and there were lots of questions about his technique and ability.

I think Lamb has demonstrated enough to be offered a contract, if he hasn't already, as he has been a very useful multi formatted squad player.

Hose is only seen as a white ball player and has not exactly shown any red ball credentials in the opportunities he has been given. If he wants to move to get them then fair play to him. He has made some terrific knocks in the blast recently though.

I feel Sibley leaving has been on the cards for a while. That contract offer was on the table for a long time.

I agree that Lamb should definitely be kept on, he's improved and is now one of better 4day batters and he was highest scorer in last seasons RLODC. Bit weird that he's so far into the last year of his contract and there's nothing seemingly offered to him at the moment.

Hose is tricky, he's well down the pecking order for red ball cricket. He got given a good opportunity across 2018 and 2019 too and just didn't deliver. He's also a bit older than I few of the other batters.

Sidebottom and Garrett may well be gone I'm afraid. Garrett might get another year or 2. Johal has overtook him though.

BristolBear wrote:

With the Sibley news today, who else’s contract is up, and may be a potential departure?

As far as I’m aware it’s:
Sibley (gone)
> Stone
Hose
Lamb

Sidebottom
Garrett
Furrer.

Both Hose and Stones apparently both have only been offered white ball only. With Hose potentially following Pollock down to Worcestershire to play some red ball.
Have also heard Sidebottom may be signing for Derbyshire.

These would be the three I would keep on the list provided. Stone has been streets ahead of any other pace bowler in the Blast, and perhaps white ball only is the answer to his injury problems.

It's a funny one with Hose because does he really need to play red ball from his sake? He's had a Hundred contract for two years in a row now, and based on Blast form this season I would expect he will continue to get a Hundred contract. He could potentially pick up some other T20 gigs elsewhere and therefore not need a red ball contract anywhere anyway.

Just announced that Jacob has signed a three year extention.

https://edgbaston.com/news/jacob-bethell-signs-contract-extension-with-warwickshire/?fbclid=IwAR2xOctDI_qe5b2z-icdGHJNyvzH0fq2vZJ0nJ5mM4aiopbwGwJzHwt81Dc

It will be interesting to see how he develops now he'll be a full time cricketer.

The prevailing rumour appears to be that Northants are the front runners for both Stone and Hose unless Warwickshire offer full contracts, or vastly financially improved white ball contracts. Or someone else comes in with a better offer. Lamb has spoken to a number of clubs but would prefer to stay at Warwickshire but hasn’t been offered a deal to stay as of last week. But it gets worse……

Whilst watching a Birmingham league match this Saturday I got chatting to a coach who does some free lance work, sometimes within the bears set up. According to him, the treatment of players like Hose, Lamb and Stone is apparently rubbing other players up the wrong way, with it seeming new signings in the last year or so, who’ve achieved little for the club, being prioritised over championship winning or long serving players (see Lintott on a full contract but the club not offering this to Stone and Hose). Certain players being seen as undroppable, and non-performing overseas being paid huge sums and keeping others out of the sides, is made worse by the fact the new signings still only achieved a QF exit once again in T20, mostly carried by long serving players, and currently performing worse in the Championship.

With a number of players including Hain, Rhodes, Burgess, Norwell, OHD and Miles all out of contract at the end of 2023, the club will need to get this sorted ASAP to stop a mass exodus of some of its most talented players. It’s not a case of the club not wanting them, and some have been offered deals, but it’s whether they want to stay within the current environment.

Definitely rings true. Some players are certainly being prioritised over others. New signings come straight into the side and generally perform poorly but keep getting picked regardless. It's nothing new. The club does have this tendency to look outside and sign from other counties as opposed to develop its own current talent too. Matt Lamb was part of the side that won the Championship, is a regular in the 4 day side, has performed pretty well but hasn't been offered a new deal? That's crazy. I can totally see Hose and Stone's point, they should be offered full contacts as they are long serving players and have also performed well. There are players within the squad who have performed less well but have the security of a long term contract. Somethings not adding up.

Look at Bethell, signed a 3 year contract last year, then gets a 3 year extension last week. Good young player, huge upside, but let's be honest his performances haven't warranted that at the moment. It's great that he's being backed but there are others who deserve that kind of backing too.

And in the meantime we're seemingly letting 3 senior players, who have performed well, walk away.

It definitely seems as though the current management set up has its favourites and if your face doesn't fit...

A player will always want the best for themselves which is completely understandable, however I can see the club questioning the value of offering Hose and Stone full contracts. One hasn’t shone when given the chance with the red ball and one is injured/away with England and may not play red ball cricket again, if you believe what you hear. We are obviously not aware of what the financial details are with their current and offered contracts which will have some bearings on the discussions.

However, I can definitely see why there might be issues established players will have when others come in on, apparently, big money but are not performing but constantly backed.

I definitely think Lamb should be retained though, I think he has more than proved himself to be an effective part of the squad.

I’ve been rather disappointed this year with the lack of visibility from both the director of cricket and the coach. I may just be missing things but they seemed more active last year in communicating with the members and the fans. I wonder if there is something going on in the background?

Interestingly, a number of our players are using a recently retired player, with good knowledge of the club, as their agent.

That could be a factor in their negosiations.

Any further thoughts on contracts after the Hampshire game?

I can understand the extention for Bethell, he's finished school so is now a full time player, so the club have probably revised the terms of his contract, given him a pay rise and added an extra year. All quite reasonable.

As Stone and Hose are not playing red ball cricket, it seems reasonable to only offer them "White ball" deals, obviously with clauses to cover a situation where they did play any Red ball games.

What is difficult to understand is why Lintott was given a full contract, when he does not, and isn't likely to play any red ball cricket.

Also, Rob Yates must be very greatful he signed a long contract last summer, as he'd be struggling for a new contract if he was out of contract this season.

For me, in isolation, I don’t think any one contract or decision made by the club is that bad. However, when you look at the timing and comparisons it looks rather poor and inconsistent.

Whilst Hose and Stone may not be being considered for red ball, they should be offered equal terms to someone like Lintott. That disparity seems very odd, especially considering both Hose and Stone want to play red ball, but Lintott doesn’t seem to be fussed.

Again the Bethell extension, he’s left school, but surely the club are intelligent enough to plan that into the contract. Different terms for the last 2 years, rather than a whole new contract, more money but no sign of performance yet.

For the overseas, what a mess, three years in a row with poor overseas options. Can’t be a 4th, watching Abbott, Abbas, Harmer, McDermott you can see the impact they have.

Yates is just in a down year, there’s more video on him, still studying I believe, and been moved around the order. I think he’ll come back. But he’s just very feast or famine, 100’s or nothing at all.

Finally, there seems to be a number of players who next season will be in their final year. Including the 3 players carrying the red ball team OHD, Hain and Burgess. The club needs to get those sorted. But I have a nasty feeling we’re going to lose at least 1 of them.