Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Think the rub on Sidebottom was that Derby really wanted him when he signed on loan there at the start of the season, and the club were willing to send him on loan for the rest of the season and he could sign there permanently. But he got injured after the first match. Derby got cold feet, then after he got fit, Sidebottom seemed to jump up the bears pecking order, above Garret and Johal, which seemed to suggest he might have a future at the club. Only for it not to materialise. So who knows where he ends up now, but he’s more than good enough to be first choice at a Div 2 club if he can stay fit.

The talk I’ve heard on Garrett is exactly what you’d expect, the Bears are willing to keep him at the right price, but don’t want to pay a premium price for a player they’re not convinced by. The other issue currently is no DoC to negotiate with.

Going into a season with Miles, Johal and Garrett as the back up seam bowlers is a scary prospect. None of the three have shown to be a viable option for D1 cricket.

Super Moderator

In the unlikely event that they all stay fit, a pace attack of OH-D, Liam Norwell and Ed Barnard with occasional support from Will Rhodes doesn't look too bad. But I agree that the back-up is the worry. I think 2023 will be a key season for Miles, Johal, Garrett plus Ethan and Henry Brookes who all have a lot to prove. But it would be a bit negative to assume that they will all fall short. Who knows, we might even see something of Chris Woakes; and maybe the overseas player will be an ace all-rounder, as good as Lara with the bat and Allan Donald with the ball.
No harm in having October dreams!

An overseas player who is able to contribute all season, not just be here to use the club as a training exersize before going off to play in domestic cricket would be a massive improvement.

There are some interesting quotes on the Worcestershire website about the impact Azhar Ali had on their club, on and off the field, this year. Sadly it's not possible to make such comments about most of the overseas players at Warwickshire over the last two seasons.
Much more thought and research needs to go into the selection and signing of overseas players going forwards.

I believe we now have 22 players contacted for next season. (Please add/amed if I've omitted anyone)

The 22 are

Name Pos
Sam Hain Bat
Rob Yates Bat
Dan Mousley Bat/Bowl
Will Rhodes Bat/Bowl
Jacob Bethell Bat/Bowl
Ed Barnard Bat/Bowl
Moeen Ali Bat/Bowl White Ball Only
Chris Benjamin Bat/Wkt
Alex Davies Bat/Wkt
Kai Smith Bat/Wkt
George Maddy Bat/Wkt
Chris Woakes Bat/Bowl ECB Central Contract
Danny Briggs Bowl
OHD Bowl
Liam Norwell Bowl
Henry Brookes Bowl
Ethan Brookes Bat/Bowl
Manoj Johal Bowl
Craig Miles Bowl
George Garett Bowl
Michael Burgess bat/ wkt
Jake Lintott bowl

Super Moderator

Jake Lintott?

Burgess ?

I'm not sure Kai Smith and George Maddy are on full contracts?

I’ll amend the list, thanks for the amendments

Hamza Sheikh is given a two year contract

https://edgbaston.com/news/teen-batter-hamza-shaikh-lands-two-year-contract-extension/?fbclid=IwAR19RbqBW4yh_kg_PNXrpWGFsVi77dFsS8KXHRYwR2ZeEqm3gc303rGvzHk

"as we underline our commitment to nurturing the region’s best young talent"

Obviously a locally born and raised player averaging 48 is the championship doesn't fit that criteria!

Will Rhodes signs an extension.
Interestingly it’s only a 1 year extension. I wonder if that’s all he was willing to sign, or all the club was willing to offer.

I see Lintott was given a two year extention. I'm struggling to see how his performaces justify that.

I wonder if it’s about money.
As club captain you’ve got to think Rhodes is on north of £100k. Plus he plays all 3 formats, and has no franchise gigs so he’ll ask for more.
Whereas Lintott, only really plays T20, and probably makes more from franchise tournaments than from Warwickshire. So he’s probably happier signing for less, and has lots of freedom from the club. So makes sense for the club to keep him if he’s cheap enough.

Don’t understand Highvelds point ref Lintott. Leading wicket taker by miles in the blast, best bowling av apart from Mousley who only took three wickets. Seems logical to keep him on.