Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I was wondering with the latest announcements that Woakes and Stone are touring with England, might we see them in any of the last 3 matches this season?

I suspect that they will be flying to Pakistan by the time we re-start against Somerset sadly. Seems ridiculous to pick Woakes when he has missed a whole season for us.

Woakes and Stone to tour sounds like a waste of plane tickets. They were picked based on what exactly?

Good to see Kent throwing themselves back into the relegation scrap.
Considering Kent have to play Hampshire you’d expect minimal points there. And then they’ve got Somerset so either way one or both of them drops points which suits the bears. They’ve really shot themselves in the foot here as a draw in this and they’d probably have been safe.

Super Moderator

It's also good to see Gloucestershire doing well against Somerset because Glos. are almost doomed whereas Somerset could well claw their way above us. Having seen the Taunton weather forecast for tomorrow, I think it will be a draw with Gloucestershire well on top.

That is the one thing that people who don't like cricket, cannot understand, a team well on top getting denied because of the weather. Had Gloucestershire won, Somerset would have been a point behind us having played the same number of games but now they will go ahead of us in the table having been outplayed for the whole game. Come the end of the season, that could make a big difference and I believe it will.

Super Moderator

Stephen Chalke, in his history of the County Championship, records 28 different scoring systems used to decide the positions in the table. That was published in 2015 so we must be up to over 30 now. Maybe they will get it right one day.

Agreed. I have to say I am not one to want to go back to the days where a draw or a defeat got you the same number of points but the draw points that a side gets when they are totally outplayed can sometimes by ridiculous. If a side bats out 100 overs with the last pair securing a draw, they have fought for those points but in the case of sides who don't even get started on a mammoth chase of 350+, it does seem a bit lopsided to get points you haven't really deserved. I think there should be a rethink on draw points and having to bat out a certain amount of overs should come into it, not getting 8 for being stuck in a pavilion hoping the rain carries on all day.

On the other hand Paul why should the team suffer the loss of those points because they never had the chance to bat out a draw because it rained? Perhaps in a draw the side on top should get more points than the one likely to have lost. Could be times when it could be tricky working out which is which

It is a bit like Duckworth/Lewis which always seemed ridiculous (Just like the 'faster scoring rate' method before it) as it never took into account, the various strengths of a batting side which is obviously impossible to gauge. It is just another reason why cricket is the best but most confusing/mind boggling sport ever.

13 man squad:-

Rhodes, Briggs, Henry Brookes, Burgess, Davies, Garrett, Hain, OHD, Johal, Sibley, Siraj, Yadav & Yates.

I guess we'll go with the 2 spinners, but only 3 seamers (Siraj, Brookes & OHD), plus Rhodes - though Johal or Garrett could come in for a spinner ?

No Lamb, I suppose we won't see him again in the First team.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Super Moderator

Preview:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-vs-somerset-12-september-2022/?fbclid=IwAR1qC01qUDx5RmkxhCHQS8ywFR9I_bQMoHIKQj6xyY-4HhAmNiU5_5dY06M#match-match-previews
No Lamb, Norwell or Miles.

Very strange treatment of Matt Lamb.

It's very sad that the management prefer the underachievment of Davies and Yates ahead of a local player who is still among our highest run scorers this season. Similarly the inclusion of Garret and Yohal ahead of Norwell and Miles.

Decisions like this have a dreadfully demoralising effect on the rest of the squad, and supporters.

Norwell and Miles are injured

How did Norwell and Miles get injured? Norwell was playing second team last week and was fine. Miles played in the hundred with no issues. Seems very odd.

The treatment of Lamb has been shocking. First chance they had to drop him, Robinson couldn’t do it fast enough.

Guessing the surface will heavily dictate selection, and whether we go with 2 spinners.

Not very confident with the look of the bowling and the injuries to Miles and Norwell are very strange, a bit like the days of Boyd Rankin whereby he seemed to be injured without really having done anything to explain how this occurred. Lamb will no doubt be looking around to see what other counties need batsmen for next season. We do have a habit of treating people (Yes people, they are not just players after all) with total disdain which reflects shamefully on us as a county. I can imagine Barker and Wright would no doubt feel the same.

A reminder that Yates is averaging below 13 this season,
Lamb's average is almost 49, and he has scored over 3 times more runs from the same number of innngs.

The omision of Lamb is illogical.

So after a blank weekend the four day game gets under way this Monday morning.

I’ve just seen a clip of Matt Mason ‘coaching’ experienced Indian international Yadav!!!! It does make me laugh. I’m trying not to be negative....and I know it’s only cricket.....but what on earth has been going on at Edgaston in the last 12 months?