Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I think this is a good move. Go away and get some overs in then come back.

Agree, why have him just sitting around? Get some overs in his legs. Get a better player back or at least a player ready for the T20’s who’s bowling fit.

It gives him a good opportunity, hopefully he gets on the field and shows what he is capable of.

What does it say about the other second team bowlers that "even" Derbyshire don't want them.

That's not particularly fair. Derbyshire are one of the 18 first class counties, and give Warwickshire a decent contest whenever we play them.

Craig Miles is a county championship winner who more than pulled his weight that season. Derbyshire like all counties will have bowlers of his style coming out of their ears. Brookes offers something different but doesn't yet have the proven pedigree in first class cricket of Milo. It's a bit of punt let's hope he does well

Super Moderator

I agree that Henry needs to get out there and show what he can do - for better or worse.

We do seem a bit disparaging of Derbyshire as a team (I recall several comments during the members HPR forum in October)- did they not beat us fairly comfortably in last seasons 50 over comp?

Apologies it was the Blast not the Royal London- 7 wickets with 2 overs to spare

Four wickets in four overs for one run. Quite a debut so far! Let’s hope he can continue, good for us and Derbyshire.

Great news, this will do his confidence good.

He's been superb. Leics openers were so comfortable. It did cloud over and went cool for a bit just as Henry came on but superb to get the edge, then pin the next guy. Figures of 4-1 a few moments ago. He looked decent in the seconds game I saw couple of weeks ago v Somerset albeit a limited number of overs

Could this be the start of something for the lad? He's got all the attributes and still the right age to go on. Hopefully opens his mind to possibilities beyond the razzamatazz of hit and giggle formats

This is good news!

Blimey, Henry finished with 6 for 20, off 12 overs. He's never got anywhere near that in red ball cricket - in his whole First class, or even, 2nds career. What has happened to him, in just a couple of days in Derby - some inspirational coaching advice, or just a VERY helpful wicket?!

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Super Moderator

Whatever it is, let's hope he can bring that form back with him when he returns.

Derby is traditionally hard and bouncy. Add that to Leicestershire batting order frailties and it did cloud over and went cool just as he came on first change. Even after it warmed up though he kept taking wickets. Shame as I'd liked to have seen a cameo of sorts by Rehan Ahmed.

Of note the scoreboard here is huge and that's terrific. Hopefully when Warks get around to replacing the pavilion end scoreboard it'll be similarly as good

Super Moderator

Derbyshire seem to be scoring all right on the pitch so that makes Henry's effort seem all the better.

He's bowled well in the seconds, and obviously had great figures today, so that would all suggest he is improving at just about the right time. Hope he can remain fit and firing

mad wrote:

Derby is traditionally hard and bouncy. Add that to Leicestershire batting order frailties and it did cloud over and went cool just as he came on first change. Even after it warmed up though he kept taking wickets. Shame as I'd liked to have seen a cameo of sorts by Rehan Ahmed.

Of note the scoreboard here is huge and that's terrific. Hopefully when Warks get around to replacing the pavilion end scoreboard it'll be similarly as good

Good point this about pitches. The decks at Edgbaston for 4 day matches tend to be low and slow and get lower and slower as the game goes on which doesn't always suit those bowlers with a bit of extra pace.

Dobell mentioned it on twitter once and Barwell got a bit uppity over it. But GD did have a point tbf.

Super Moderator

I think Gary Barwell was quite right to get uppity because the Edgbaston pitches constantly get high ratings for both county and international matches; and having a reasonable amount of pace and carry is a key part of that.

Nobody said they were bad, and I don't always agree with George Dobell. Just low and slow and they get lower and slower. We all watch 4 day cricket at Edgbaston, we can all see that. Its sometimes remarked upon by our own bowlers in their interviews. Our pitches have a fair bit of pace in them for T20 matches, I know in 2021 they were using them hybrid drop in pitches for the Blast, don't know what they did last year.

It's not just the decks, sometimes I think the outfield is so lush that it retains its moisture a little bit more and it softens the new ball a bit quicker than it might do elsewhere. However, as Dermot Reeve once pointed out, it probably means the ball keeps it's shine a bit longer.

No ones digging Barwell, just think it's how it is at Edgbaston.

Super Moderator

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one - and next time I bump into George, I'll berate him for his opinion.
"Low and slow and get lower and slower" is a classic definition of a bad pitch - to get a top rating, which the Edgbaston pitches regularly receive, they need to meet the ECB requirement of "Good carry and/or bounce throughout the match."
And let's also remember that Gary and his team won the Grounds Management Association Professional Cricket Grounds Team of the Year award last season.
I truly don't remember any players talking about slow and low pitches at Edgbaston but am more than willing to have examples pointed out.
As for hybrid pitches, Edgbaston has been at the forefront of developing these but I think there are restrictions on their use in first-class and Test matches at the moment.
Anyway, I am happy (well, sort of) to be proved wrong on any of the above and/or to be labelled a grumpy old man.