Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

*makes mental note not to say ANYTHING about the nature of the pitches at Edgbaston. Or at any other first class cricket venue, just to be safe. Also prays for George Dobell...

Can't resist, sorry!

Knew I remembered Mark Robinson saying after the Kent game "...we know Edgbaston pitches get slower..."

Im also having a slow day...

Super Moderator

You maintained that silence for all of 20 minutes!
I bow to Mr Robinson!

Ha! Touché GARRYshed

Super Moderator

Oh, no, you've sussed out who I really am.
I'm off to roll the pitch for Thursday. But there'll be so little bounce that Michael Burgess had better have steel toe-caps on his boots.

Super Moderator

From The Cricketer:
"The Cricketer understands that seamer Henry Brookes could move on from Warwickshire this winter.
Contracted until the end of the 2024 season, the 24-year-old had a bit-part role for the club last term, playing three times in the Championship, making five outings in the Metro Bank One-Day Cup and a dozen in the run to the Blast quarter-finals.
In May, he had a two-match loan spell at Derbyshire, taking nine wickets at 16.66 across appearances against Leicestershire and Gloucestershire."

If true, it's a shame that someone who showed such promise is moving on. His injury problems didn't help his development; but the ability to bring on young bowlers doesn't seem to be the greatest strength of the coaching staff.

It's best for all concerned that he moves on. I've never known a bowler so over-rated. After that long spell out injured he never regained his pace.

Would be a shame, and once again a failure in part by the club to bring through a young home grown fast bowler to be a consistent long term contributor.
Though I feel the injuries have played a big part in this.
He almost looks like he’s trying too hard in T20 and 50 over. Trying to prove he’s still one of the fastest around.
In red ball, it’s more like he knows he’s always a stop gap, so unless he takes a 5 wicket haul he’s getting dropped, so he bowls like he has to take a wicket every ball. Trying too much, not just getting into a rhythm and hitting the top of off for 10-12 balls in a row. I think it’s why he did well on loan, he knew he was going to play so was more relaxed about his approach.

Henry really has so underperformed for us in the last 2 seasons (even for the Seconds), I do think a move away is the best for both parties. I guess Derbyshire could well be the most likely destination.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Lots of home grown players have left the past couple of seasons. It's not a good look.

I've said many a time that this counties record at bringing through homegrown seamers is particularly poor, several have shown promise going all the way back to Nick Warren and then Naqaash Tahir (he's probably the one who had the most success apart from Woakes obviously). Milnes and the Gordon both showed a considerable amount of promise and played quite a bit of first team cricket, they showed more than Garrett and Johal who I just don't think got given proper chances.

Are we giving up on Henry a little too early? 24 year old OHD wasn't exactly pulling up any trees, Henry is ahead of where he was at the same age without question. He's still got 12 months left on his current deal, we're essentially cancelling his contract which feels a bit harsh.

The bowling coach situation probably hasn't has helped things, since he came into the 1st XI he's had Richadson, Welsh, Mason and Barnes, too many different ideas maybe?

BristolBear wrote:

Would be a shame, and once again a failure in part by the club to bring through a young home grown fast bowler to be a consistent long term contributor.
Though I feel the injuries have played a big part in this.
He almost looks like he’s trying too hard in T20 and 50 over. Trying to prove he’s still one of the fastest around.
In red ball, it’s more like he knows he’s always a stop gap, so unless he takes a 5 wicket haul he’s getting dropped, so he bowls like he has to take a wicket every ball. Trying too much, not just getting into a rhythm and hitting the top of off for 10-12 balls in a row. I think it’s why he did well on loan, he knew he was going to play so was more relaxed about his approach.

This is a fair take on the situation I'd say.

Off to Middlesex on a long term contract according to the Telegraph. The move suits all parties.

Super Moderator

Considering the mess that Middlesex are in, I wouldn't have thought that they would be the first choice of anyone looking for a move.
I hope it works out for him; but since Chris Woakes all of a decade ago, the Club haven't brought a single quick bowler through the youth system who has made the grade and stayed.
The Btookes brothers, George Garrett, Manroj Johal - all gone in the last month or so.

Several first division counties were interested in him. He'll do well down there and I think this could come back to bite us.

Yes many home grown players have left in the past 2 or 3 seasons. We're just not a county where young players come through and do well regularly. They dont always get proper chances. Particularly the bowlers. I mean Craig Miles got given a 3 year deal last year. Michael Booth is only a year younger than Henry but has been given a 3 year deal. Its an odd one. I'm not sure on Garton either to be honest. None of this is a good look.

July last season summed it up for Henry, was outstanding in the quarter final v Essex, dragged us back in it with some economical bowling in the middle overs. Then played away at Kent, got a few wickets, made a half century, we won. A week later v Lancs at home he's dropped in favour of Mir Hamza (who looked pretty average) and you saw his confidence ebb away. I actually thought he was decent in the ODC. 4day match away at Surrey was poor though.

It's interesting Middlesex showed firm interest, he played at home v them last season and bowled really well without luck. He was pretty hostile and looked like he'd got a yard back that week.

Leaves us with a bit of an ageing seam attack and there is absolutely nothing coming through the age groups and academy seam bowler wise. I'd have thought he was worth keeping another couple of years then, aged 26, if he's not nailed down a regular place we could have moved him on.

I've said it before, 24 year old OHD didn't exactly look brilliant did he....

Some of the squad decisions have been rather odd of late, this one included.
Proven players getting short term deals, fringe or unproven talents getting long ones, homegrown players shown the door for older but less experienced recruits.
I think we all know Robbo plays favourites, but some of this could really come back to bite him if he’s not careful.

Agreed.

Craig Miles played 7 CC games in 2022 and averaged 65 with just 11 wickets. He got a 3 year deal at the end of that season.

I'm really confused. We seem to be in a constant transitional phase with players coming and going every 2 or 3 seasons or so but the average age of the squad is getting older and older.

Brookes departure confirmed. Good luck to him in his career but he won't ever be top class.

It’s a shame he wasn’t able to kick on with us, it must be tough being a youth player coming through the ranks when there has been quite a steady turnover in coaching/support staff.

He played a couple of games for Derbyshire last year and did well. Perhaps a regular run of games in the second division will help jump start his red ball career.

Not overly happy with this decision. He's still young and has a lot to offer. I think we might regret letting him go.

Administrator

He was never consistent enough for me, he’d have a great game followed by a shocker. In four day cricket he was always a bit expensive. If he can find that consistency then he’ll be a good player.