Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Andy wrote:

Several first division counties were interested in him. He'll do well down there and I think this could come back to bite us.

Yes many home grown players have left in the past 2 or 3 seasons. We're just not a county where young players come through and do well regularly. They dont always get proper chances. Particularly the bowlers. I mean Craig Miles got given a 3 year deal last year. Michael Booth is only a year younger than Henry but has been given a 3 year deal. Its an odd one. I'm not sure on Garton either to be honest. None of this is a good look.

July last season summed it up for Henry, was outstanding in the quarter final v Essex, dragged us back in it with some economical bowling in the middle overs. Then played away at Kent, got a few wickets, made a half century, we won. A week later v Lancs at home he's dropped in favour of Mir Hamza (who looked pretty average) and you saw his confidence ebb away. I actually thought he was decent in the ODC. 4day match away at Surrey was poor though.

It's interesting Middlesex showed firm interest, he played at home v them last season and bowled really well without luck. He was pretty hostile and looked like he'd got a yard back that week.

Leaves us with a bit of an ageing seam attack and there is absolutely nothing coming through the age groups and academy seam bowler wise. I'd have thought he was worth keeping another couple of years then, aged 26, if he's not nailed down a regular place we could have moved him on.

I've said it before, 24 year old OHD didn't exactly look brilliant did he....

I'm standing by this.

Perhaps he requested to leave because of frustration of not getting regular game time?

Wouldn’t surprise me if asked to go. He’ll want to play all formats and that’s a chance he’ll get at Middlesex.
Just didn’t get a run of games in red ball and I think that really prevented him playing to his potential and just bowling with rhythm.
From what I’ve heard, we might be able to get Woakes a decent amount for the first half of next season. The rumour being these t20 internationals in the West Indies right now are a trial as to whether to take him to the T20 World Cup there in June.
So Henry’s opportunities would have been even more limited if Woakes didn’t make the cut.

I don't think Woakes will bowl a ball for us next season. IPL, then iT20's v PAK, then T20 WC, then 6 Test matches. That's him from March til mid September. We ain't seeing him. Can't see the likes of Atkinson (looks a very average bowler in my opinion right now) forcing him out the T20 side.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

The talk was that Woakes was behind the likes of Curran, Atkinson, Wood, Topley, Mills and Archer if fit. That definitely seems to have changed with this tour with Curran, Atkinson and Mills all struggling.
Also, there was a lot of rumour that the English players who dropped out of last years IPL might struggle to get picked up. As the Indians famously don’t like their competition being shunned. Though Woakes has just gone in the IPL auction. So got to agree, as over the course of a few days, Woakes’ positioning has changed hugely. Looks like we won’t see him at all.

Chris Woakes has been signed by Punjab Kings for the IPL for $506,000. So we won't see him for a while this season.