Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
default profile picture

GerryShedd

Super Moderator
online
Joined:
Posts:
2404
Topics:
261

The moans by Kent supporters in 1911 were what probably lay behind one of the most famous Punch cartoons (of which I have a framed copy).
It's headed Two Gentlemen of Warwickshire and depicts Frank Foster talking to William Shakespeare and quoting from Henry VI part two:
"Tell Kent from me she hath lost"
To which Shakespeare responds (quoting from Henry VI part 3):
"Warwick, thou art worthy."

PCA Awards for 2026:
Toyota PCA Men's Player of the Year - Craig Overton
Toyota PCA Women's Player of the Year - Sophie Luff
Toyota PCA Men's Young Player of the Year - Sonny Baker
Toyota PCA Women's Young Player of the Year - Tilly Corteen-Coleman
PCA Outstanding Contribution Award - Heather Knight
ECB Special Merit - Tammy Beaumont
PCA Umpire of the Year - Men's Game - Ian Blackwell
PCA Umpire of the Year - Women's Game - Gabi Brown

Nothing for Bears there, though Umpire of the Year Ian Blackwell was briefly a Bear (and a Championship winner in 2012).

From the Guardian's 2026 County Cricket Awards:

"The nice guys don’t finish last award

Ethan Bamber
The Championship’s leading wicket-taker (with 69 of the things) mingled on the outfield at Edgbaston last Saturday after Warwickshire were awarded the winner’s trophy. Bamber had already been called the nicest man in cricket by his captain, Ed Barnard, and the hardest working by Sam Hain, before he auditioned for the most modest when talking to reporters (while signing a supporter’s miniature bat.) “You always wonder, as an average cricketer like me, how high your ceiling is, and in quiet moments I wasn’t sure I quite had it,” he said as he was passed a plastic cup of champagne and a man in a Scooby Doo costume sidled alongside. “Here I’ve been given the opportunity and space to express myself on the field. I feel like I have been the beneficiary of a really good group.” Bear hugs all round."

ITE7376 wrote:

GerryShedd wrote:

PS - a moan from me - Sam Hain doesn't get into the BBC team of the season:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c6dx01807d1ro
But because it was decided by public vote, maybe those of us who didn't vote are to blame.


looks like all of Abell, Clarke and Bedingfield scored more runs than he did, to be fair

How dare you confuse a good moan with some facts!

PS - a moan from me - Sam Hain doesn't get into the BBC team of the season:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c6dx01807d1ro
But because it was decided by public vote, maybe those of us who didn't vote are to blame.

My own take, having sat for a lifetime watching cricket with Bears fans, is not that we are hard done by (though occasionally we are) but that we like moaning about being hard done by.

I enjoyed the Martin Johnson article!
Of course, he was the journalist who wrote about the 1986/7 England team touring Australia that there were only three things wrong with them - they can't bat, can't bowl and can't field. The team then (with Gladstone featuring strongly) went on to win the Ashes, the one day series and a special one day tournament as well.

BosworthBear wrote:

That sounds good. Any details as to how to join cricket society or as a guest?

Go to the Cricket Society website - cricketsociety.org.uk
On the home page, there is a "join now" link. Or to sign up for the Dobell event, go to the Events page and there is a link there.

An on-line Cricket Society event for the diary:
"On Tuesday, 20th October at 7.30pm, George Dobell, Chief Correspondent of The Cricketer Magazine, will be in conversation with Peter Hardy, Chair of The Society. The focus will be the current state of the game in the UK and what we might expect moving forwards from English cricket, a broad topic but one that we hope that Society members will enjoy and feel able to participate in."
The event is open to non-Society members:
"Free to members and available to guests @ £5."

Whilst we've quite rightly been critical in the past of some of the media coverage of the Club, I think that, on the whole, they have done a pretty good job of covering the Championship win. To be fair, they found that there was a good story to tell with some elements that would appeal to readers, such as:

  • good guys (Woakes, Bamber, Westwood) finishing first
  • a team making a late run for the finishing line and getting there
  • talent and hard work rewarded (Hain, Bamber etc.)

We've put all of the comments so far about becoming Champions on the Leicestershire thread, so I just thought we needed one specifically devoted to winning the Championship. And here's an article to start the thread:
https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/sport/cricket-ian-westwood-admits-warwickshires-county-championship-win-feels-sensational/

Brian Halford reports how Suthar feels about playing for the Bears:
"I am so very happy to have been part of this journey for the Bears and the last game was wonderful to be part of. The crowd was a big part of our success, 100 per cent, from the first day, when there were so many people there willing us on, to the last when they all cheered us over the line.
“I just send big thanks to all the supporters. They are fantastic. The support for Warwickshire is unbelievable and this season has given some lifetime memories to me. Hopefully I will be back at Edgbaston at some point.
"The whole club and every player has been very supportive to me," he said. "I was so happy to be able to come back for the last four games. It is a very special thing to be part of. Winning the title is a great experience and I am really pleased to have contributed some wickets. The whole experience has been wonderful."

The Telegraph says that Vitality will not be renewing its sponsorship of the Blast:
"Vitality, which provides health and life insurance, has been the title sponsor of the men’s Blast since 2018, when it replaced NatWest, and the women’s Blast over the past two summers. It has also sponsored England men’s and women’s home T20 internationals since 2018. It will stop each of those aspects of its sponsorship, although exactly why is unclear."

Article focusing on Ed Barnard's role:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/crx2zv3pg0wdo

Yes, a great article.

I presume that the assumption is that he won't be part of the Ashes squad - unless he is only going to play early season, which would be a nice acclimatisation for him.

ITE7376 wrote:

GerryShedd wrote:

> I'm sure that we will want to tell Daniel Norcross how much we enjoy his commentaries;

i'm glad I'm not the only one

To be fair (and I think I've said this before), he is friends with my daughter; and he got the whole of the Test Match Special team to sign a copy of the book that I wrote with my late friend and colleague Dave Bullivant. So his commentaries may be an acquired taste but I do have cause to be grateful to him.

Let's hope that the Championship Trophy is prominently on display when Craig Overton speaks.

Yes, a nice write-up:
https://www.cricinfo.com/story/rothesay-county-championship-warwickshire-savour-the-unexpected-as-squad-effort-pays-dividends-1555855
Especially:
"Perhaps it is how Warwickshire won this title - with a sprint finish from behind the pack of leaders, with a group of players fighting for one another, in a season where nothing was promised - that made this extra special. And, dare it be said, proper."

On the Hain debate, I get that he hasn’t always done full justice to his talents; but I still think he’s been unlucky.
A decade ago, I thought that the future of England’s batting lay with the (almost biblical) pairing of Hain and Abell. I was wrong in both respects (though I’m told that Abell has knocked up a decent score this weekend).